How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First of many posts, I hope!


 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

When I started out working on fused and slumped glass, I had no idea how much fun it would be.  It took me three years to get up the nerve to turn on my kiln, and now I can't stay away from it.  So, here goes with a blog that has taken at least that many years to start.  

The Good The Bad and The Ugly are all pics of the same fused and slumped bowl I've been attempting to make for a lady who deserves the best.  First there came the somewhat perfect fusion of white snowflakes into emerald green glass (all 96 COE for those of you who need to know this stuff).  A large bubble popped during the fusing part.  I re-ran the fuse with a matching glass circle to plug the hole.  What a cool idea.  Not.  Then came the slump attempt, which I ran on a kiln-washed mold.  Uh-oh!  Should have scrubbed off the old kiln wash and reapplied new.  Shrinkage happened, and the glass was stuck to the mold.  Craaaaaaaaack!  Not to worry.  I will do it again, and get it right.

1 comment: