How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Friday, March 11, 2011

9 5/8" wavy edge plate

 Plaid ribbons with "electric" dichro square set in the middle, slumped on a wavy plate mold.  Designed, fused and slumped over a 4 day period, this 9 5/8" square wavy plate is by far the craziest, useful piece of glass I've made in a while.  AND it didn't crack or break in the kiln.  I learned that I don't have to use Elmer's glue to hold the design together, and therefore I don't get bubbles or "burned" inclusions from the glue trying desperately to burn away.  I framed this during construction, using a large carpenter's square and built it on a very thick, portable piece of cardboard.  That way I was able to move the entire thing outside to the kiln and then reconstruct it on the kiln shelf using the carpenters' square.  

Fusing schedule looks like this:  500 dph to 1000 degrees with no hold; 1000 dph to 1465 degrees with a hold of approximately 20 minutes; 9999 (as fast as possible) dph to 1000 degrees with 10 min hold; 300 dph to 965 degrees and hold for 20 min (annealing stage); 800 dph to 300 degrees with no hold--don't open the kiln until everything has cooled completely.

Slumping schedule looks like this:  500 dph to 1000 degrees with no hold; 1000 dph to 1300 degrees with a 30 minute hold; 9999 (as fast as possible) dph to 1000 degrees with 8 min hold; 300 dph to 965 and hold for 20 min (annealing stage); 800 dph to 300 degrees with no hold--don't open the kiln until everything has cooled completely.

If you want to buy this, the cost is $199.00

No comments:

Post a Comment