How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Pride Goeth Before Fall

As I was sitting here at work, waiting for my lawyer boss to come claim his new medicine cabinet door front, which I had propped against the upper shelf on my desk counter (with the under shelf lamp lighting it softly from behind), it suddenly toppled forward and fell to the floor.  The boulders are broken, bear's face is broken, side, top and bottom panels are broken, a part of the smaller tree broke (if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?  You can bet I MADE A NOISE!), and the sunniest ray in the side panel cracked in half.  Oh, and the small portion of the lake shattered. 

I get to do this panel all over, from creating new pieces to replace the old, to cleaning off and refoiling and soldering the entire project.  What this reminds me of is the time I made a huge unicorn panel for a doctor in Tulsa, OK, who wanted to used it as a coffee table top.  I had propped the finished piece against the attic door.  When the front door closed that day, the air pressure suddenly changed in the house.  This caused the attic door to blow off the hinges and crush the panel against the floor.  The pins in the hinges hadn't been replaced after a certain someone worked on the door earlier that day.

Moral of the story.  Stop propping up stuff that's breakable.

2 comments: