How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Look at this glass!

I bought this huge 19" diameter round piece of dichroic glass with the idea of slumping it into a huge bowl. The mold I wanted has been discontinued.  "If I have to cut this up to fit something smaller, why not get some design ideas from my friends?" I thought.  So, I'm opening this up to a group design.  Anyone who wants to join in can be part of the process. Ultimately I want to design a line of celestial bodies in plates and bowls, vases and drop ring molds.

Here is the glass:

The center "eye" measures approximately 2" from the outside bluish part.  The darker center is 1 3/8". It will have to be fused onto clear to strengthen it since the dichro is thin.  We can add other colors into the mix, add clear dichroic beads in wispy strands, put iridescent black glass in between sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment