How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

McCabe Coat of Arms

 I think the helmet is my favorite part of the McCabe coat of arms.  It was a blast painting it.
 The salmon (right) was another kick to paint.  I didn't know salmon had flat backs and dumpy tummies.  This actually looks more like a trout posing as a salmon.


I had fun with the vines, too.  Curlicues with shadowing is fun.  Would I do this again?  In a heartbeat!!!

This is the very first time I've tried a by-the-book coat of arms painting on clear glass.  There are so many things that went right with it that I will overlook the "wrong" stuff, for now.  I wanted it to look very old, rubbed out, scratched through.  I might have gone a bit overboard on the base coat texture.  To me, it looks more like an etching, or a wood cut stamped on paper.  I placed the 5" x 5" piece of glass on top of a pale white ceramic mold (see the little air vent hole in the middle of the wavy part?) so I could get a constant background for photography.

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding! Very cool! I still have and use the coat of arms key ring you gave me. Lovely, Cat

    ReplyDelete