How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Right Stuff

I finally got the glass for the koi panel. It's taken a while to paint the scales.  Very tedious. The paint is not the usual Reusche, but Glassline, and it is best fired at 1500 df which definitely makes the glass have a different visual texture--smoother and shinier after test firing.  Firing that hot also makes the edges of the fired piece rounder.


The scales may not show up in direct light because they are painted gray and will fire quite pale. However, the aim is to hint at the scales, not have them be obvious.  The eyes and mouth and whiskers, however, are painted with Glassline black over the pale gray.  If it all works out I'll be one happy camper.  Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment