How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Monday, November 28, 2011

As promised.

Experimenting with glass colors is fun. Whenever I get it right, I rejoice. Sometimes the outcome looks a little weird, though, as happened in this tile. The colors I thought would be amazing, really weren't because I picked a crummy background color to work with. That's what happens when you don't have enough of what you want and "settle" for something else just to get the idea out of your mind and onto glass. I'm not Happy. (So, which Dwarf are you, then?) Also, using Glassline paint is quick and easy, but the color vibrancy leaves a lot to be desired

My favorite part of the tile painting is the fish skeleton on the cat's forehead. I'm tired of day of the dead stuff. Dichroic glass is much more exciting! Look at this combo. I know. It's a skull. But GOSH!

This is so simple, and actually quite beautiful in a frightening sort of way. I put a photocopied skull behind clear glass and plopped a piece of electric clear dichro over it.  Makes me wonder what would happen if I made a decal out of the photocopy and then tack fused it all together. Decals "brown out" into sepia tones during firing, so the end result wouldn't be as startling. Hand painting the skull onto glass using the traditional method with Reusche paint, and then firing the dichro over it would work and it would look just like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment