How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Day of the Dead" cat tile, pre-fire

It's interesting how a three dimensional piece of art can actually have another dimension. The tile I'm making has the outline painting sandwiched between two layers of glass, which adds depth. Now that I've painted the color over the outline, it looks like it has another dimension. Look into the cat's spiral eye.

There are tiny little bubbles caught between the layers (about the size of small champagne bubbles). I don't think you can see them from this photo; they show up below the ears and around the whiskers.

With the color layered on the outside of the glass, the outline beneath the clear glass, and the bubbles between the layers, it looks like the cat is under water.

This picture was taken prior to firing. When it comes out of the kiln, I'll snap another shot. The colors should be vibrant. The flower on top of the head is deep red with yellow highlights. The leaves are varying shades of deep green to yellow green. The ears are pink with green flowers. The nose is pale green and the lower jaw is dark blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment