How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Day of the Dead dish

It's going to rain today. Rather than start something big I might not be able to get in the kiln before the raindrops start, I thought I'd work on a small dish to sell at a small boutique a friend and I are having at work, towards the end of November.

It's 5"x 5", fused clear glass over white iridescent glass. Since it is painted on the clear side, the design creates a shadow on the white base glass. Sweet, huh? I added some millefiori slices and an aqua blue glass pebble on her eye. Yes, they are glued on because they were an after-thought, but this dish wasn't meant to be "used" as a dish (unless you put a bar of soap in it).

Not to worry. If the glued on pieces come off, there will still be decorative paint melted into the glass. I used Glassline Pens for the outline and color, fired it in two firings--one to set the outline of the design, and the other to fire the colors and slump the dish. I think I'll charge $5000.00 for it (not really).  It WAS a lot of work, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment