How I create things in my kiln, and what eventually happens to what I create...

Glass goes in the kiln, and glass comes out, quite altered! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's what happens in life.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Copper foiled center panel
Today I finished foiling the interior panel of the medicine cabinet door.  I have to cut out and foil the long side and top strips sometime this week.  I hope to have this completed by next weekend. Painting the pile of boulders turned into a "do it twice" deal.  Since you can't scrape paint off of glass once it is fired, you had better be sure you A) know what you are doing and B) like what you have done the first time.  I didn't have A or B in hand for the first firing, and that piece is now in the trash.  I still didn't quite have A in hand the second time around, but I think I like it!  Besides painting and firing it with softer colors (browns and blue-grays) I lowered the fire temp a little.  That seemed to keep the glass from devitrifying.

1 comment: